Some of the fine folks I’ve gotten to work with.
Penguin Group Books • Scholastic • Houghton Mifflin • Saatchi & Saatchi X • Highlights Magazine • American Greetings • Disney Interactive • Girl’s World / Animal Tales • Stone Arch Books • Capstone Publishing • Warner Independent • Disney Adventures Magazine • ESPN: The Magazine • Weekly Reader Group • Spin Master Games • Sterling Publishing • Amanzi Tea • Chuy’s Restaurant Group • The Oklahoma City Zoo • The Austin Chronicle • The Gazette (Oklahoma City) • The Fort Worth Star-Telegram • The McClatchy Company
I’m CS Jennings. I live in Austin, Texas. Creativity, design, storytelling, collaboration—these are the things that get me excited.
I draw lots of stuff. I do a ton of illustration for the children’s markets, but I go wherever my pencil will take me. Publishing, gaming, editorial, advertising, entertainment, animation, commercial, apparel, apps, greeting cards—yep, I’ve pretty much done everything.
I love writing and illustrating for children. I wrote Hello, Texas! (Sterling Publishing). I was the author-illustrator of the picture book Animal Band (also Sterling Publishing). As an illustrator, I’ve drawn books for Penguin Group Books, Houghton Mifflin, Scholastic, Stone Arch Books, and Sterling Publishing, (you can see the full list above.) I love collaborating with art directors and editors. (I especially enjoy the revision process of the book. Weird, I know.) Storytelling has always inhabited my drawing. As I write more, my stories find their expression in words.
Meeting deadlines is what I do. I honed my illustration chops in newspapers; I’m a master of the quick turnaround. Whether it’s knocking out pirates and sharks for Duracell, box-top skunks and porcupines for the Would You Rather? series of games, character and environment concepts for Disney Interactive, or a bunch of player caricatures for an ESPN: The Magazine article—the project will be delivered on time.
Design has been a guiding force in my life. My degree is graphic communication with an informal study in illustration (I maxed out the illustration courses my university offered). In my career I have been a graphic designer, art and creative director. (I love working with a team.) Informed by my design training, shape and movement are key elements in my illustration work. I believe that good design is a foundation of our industry—and life, really—regardless of the medium. I’m a nerd for it wherever it shows up—page, computer or device screen, interior and architecture.
Animation is a passion. I was assistant animation director with Minnow Mountain on The Tornante Company’s Amazon production Undone (September 2019). I was an animation lead for Richard Linklater’s A Scanner Darkly. I love collaborating with animation teams, working with the amazing staff we had, the directors, and the producers and teams at Warner Independent and Tornante. Directing, character design and sequential storytelling are what I have to offer the industry.
It’s important to be part of the community. Giving back and mentoring is crucial for those of us who have been doing this for a while. Aside from my involvement in social media, I’ve taught at the university level, spoken to elementary and high school classrooms, and am part of informal industry groups across the city. In that vein, in October 2016 I took over the mantle Illustrator Coordinator for the Austin chapter of The Society of Children’s Book Writer and Illustrators. (A vibrant community of writers and illustrators.)
Drop me a line. I would love to hear from you. Let’s have a good time knocking something out.
A few notes:
- I work with established publishers and companies. I am not taking requests from self-published authors or those looking to collaborate on a children’s book in hopes of getting published. (Don’t wait on an illustrator! Send out your manuscript! The publisher will pair you with an artist they’ve been jonesing to work with.)
- I will take requests for commissions—providing I have the time to knock it out.
- Most artwork on this site can be purchased as a print or other sweet item.
- For more details, see the contact page.
I am proudly represented by the amazing Tim Travaglini of the Transatlantic Agency.
Author and Illustrator:
– Animal Band, 2008, Sterling Publishing
– Hello, Texas!, 2010, Sterling Publishing
– Phenom Readers, 2020, Houghton Mifflin
– From an Idea to Disney, 2019, Houghton Mifflin
– From an Idea to LEGO, 2019, Houghton Mifflin
– From an Idea to Google, 2019, Houghton Mifflin
– From an Idea to Nike, 2019, Houghton Mifflin
– Prank Lab, 2019, Scholastic
– My America: An Owner’s Guide, 2017, Colonial Williamsburg Press
– Goldilocks and the Three Vampires, 2016, Capstone
– Liar Liar, Lie Detector! 2016 Scholastic
– Spy 101: Intro to Espionage, 2014, Scholastic
– Spy Guide, 2014, Scholastic
– Children at the Well, 2014, Inprov LTD
– A Serious Case of the Sillies, 2013, Scholastic
– Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow, chapter book, 2011, Dial Books
– Jacob Wonderbar for President, chapter book, 2012, Dial Books
– Jacob Wonderbar and the Interstellar Time Warp, chapter book, 2013, Dial Books
– The Incredible Rockhead, graphic novel, 2009, Stone Arch Books
– The Incredible Rockhead: The Dozer Strikes, Stone Arch Books, 2009
– The Incredible Rockhead vs Papercut!, graphic novel, Stone Arch Books, 2010
– The Incredible Rockhead and the Spectacular Scissorlegz, graphic novel, Stone Arch Books, 2010